Friday 13 December 2013


                Tayla                           Certain events change our impression of life

                Robotically the automatic doors opened and closed allowing the flow of people to immerge into the latest deals the stores had to offer.  My sight obscured by tiny flakes of snow and the wind that burned against my exposed skin.  With three things on my list I planned to check them off quickly and make my way back home to get on with my homework.  It’s bad enough coming to the grocery store doing jobs that my parents should have done.  Looping my fingers through the mesh bag of oranges I pick the first cucumber I see and make my way to the cash register.

            I eye the last item on my list and pick up a bag of pistachios placing them with my produce and fold up the list.  Second in line I stand placing each corner perfectly in line with the other trying to make little triangles until I am interrupted by a man yelling at the woman standing motionless at the till.  I am so surprised by this and the lady doesn’t even make a noise; I want to scream yell at the man when I notice that she is deaf but I stand there just as stunned as her staring at the white tile floor guiltily.  She stays silent.  I stay silent. 

He says this is “horrible customer service, there shouldn’t be people like you working here”.

Grumbling to himself the man leaves with a huff.  Taking my eyes off the floor I lift my eyes to the woman standing before me, giving an apologetic smile to her as she picks up my oranges placing them on the scanner and types in a memorized code.  I felt bad, I could have at least said something but instead I was too stunned to speak.  And it got me thinking, is this really what we get upset with now days?  Getting through the line quickly so we can rush home pack our bags for another Wednesday night hockey practice.  To be trapped within our own list of daily tasks and things we need done.  People like Helen Keller have risen above the disabilities they have and have gone to school, been given jobs and haven’t let that stop them from living their lives.

She placed the items in the bag and rang up my total.  I handed her a crinkled up ten dollar bill and took my change leaving not only with my groceries but a heavy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment